09 November 2010

Windows Phone 7: Omnia 7 Vs Optimus 7 comparison review

So I went to the store today and had 15 mins browsing on the Samsung Omnia 7.

With the Omni7 in one hand the the Opti7 in the other hand I was able to do a direct comparison between the two phones.
I set the theme and brightness the same to get a better comparison between the two screens.

Click to read more:



Now previously, people I have demonstrated the Optimus 7 to have all remarked what an amazing screen the device has.
But side-by-side it pales (literally) in comparison to the Omnia 7.
One word to describe the Omnia 7 - "zing".  Much more contrast, much more colour saturation.  In fact I think probably too much colour saturation like when people on TV look orange because the colour is turned up too high.  But you got to give it to the Optimus 7 - the blacks are black like the Omnia 7, it sure gives the Samsung offering a run for its money on contrast.
One thing to note is that with a larger screen the Omnia 7 (4") looks noticeably pixelated compared to the Optimus 7 (3.8").  I was looking at the lines separating times in the calendar and on the Omnia you can really see the dots...not so much on the Optimus.  Kind of like "smooth fonts" on old Windows PCs.


Even on the Optimus 7 I think that auto brightness is sometimes a little too intense...I wish there was a way to set the parameters of how bright the auto brightness is (I don't want it on low all the time), and it would help on battery life.  The Omnia 7 is almost too bright to look at, too saturated and too intense.

Otherwise, the responsiveness is identical, app loading times were the same.  Honestly, I think the Optimus 7 feels like it has more "class" and more "substance" to the build, the Omnia was a little bit plasticky in comparison.  Not much, just a little, and not enough to change anyones mind I suspect.  The Omnia7 feels thinner and wider in the hand, and a little longer.  More slate and less chocolate bar, if you know what I mean.

Both are great phones to use, although I wasn't able to check call quality.  Am I happy with my LG?  I think the ScanSearch and Play To apps are well worth the purchase, and in normal non-compared useage I have no issues with the LG screen.  I am happy with my choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment