04 November 2010

Living with the LG Optimus 7...Day 2

OK, after another 24 hours I can report:

All of my initial observations are correct...
No way to share contacts
'Me' page does not have profile information, even if your Live account has the details, and no way to link it with your FB/Live information if you have it your details on exchange or even if you create a 'Me' contact.

The MSFT Social answers site is a good place for discussion on problems, go to the WP7 section.

In hindsight, I think "Windows Phone 7" is a terrible name, because doing web searches for information on the phone brings up all sorts of Windows 7 information not relevant to the phone...you have to get a bit boolean about WP7 searches. ;)

More after the break...




The power button as the only button to wake up the Opti7 is a bit tedious still, made a little more inconvenient because the top edge of the Opti7 has a beveled edge and if you're trying to reach around with your finger from behind its a bit of a stretch.

Battery life...is about on par with my iPhone 3GS. I leave the house around 8am and get back around 8pm on an average day and I am lucky if the the Opti7 or 3GS manages to last that long. My commute is only half an hour of surfing each way usually, with emails and calls during the day with the occasional short dip into video/internet/games/camera. The Opti8 died in the taxi on the way home tonight. Emails are sent to download every 15 mins, wifi is off during the day (mostly), screen brightness is on auto, so pretty much optimised for battery life I think (anyone have more hints? Is there any way to change the frequency of Facebook updates?)

Hopefully I can buy a spare battery in the near future, but like the 3GS I need to get in the habit of plugging in at my desk.

USB Connector is one thing I mentioned, the weird side-ways plug in. Also, its one of those flat USB connectors, not the regular ones...which is in turn different from the Sony micro-USB connectors...damn I wish all USB connectors were the same size and let me carry only one cable!

Nothing bad cropped up during my work day, I was handling emails, meeting invitations and calendar appointments no problem, just a little slower at first as I find the options.

The one Very Bad Thing is not being able to share contacts, either via vCard, BT or email. This is a glaring omission, hope it gets fixed soon. Web pages can be shared (email or messaging), its odd that pix, contacts and files can't be shared in the same way.

Swipe up to unlock - some people wondered if that was weird. I can confirm it isn't, and it kind of gets your thumb in the right position for scrolling the home screen.

When creating an appointment in Calendar, you get the option to choose which calendar you want the appointment to appear in. You can set a default, but easy to change whenever making a new appointment...that was one thing that miffed me about the iOS.

Exchange Global Address Book searching is not as obvious as you might think. Go to contacts, click the search icon and start typing the name...as you do it filters from your contacts list and at the bottom is an option to "search <your company> address book. Then it will filter from the global address book too. But you won't find the feature until you start searching for a name!

Sometimes I think there could be a swipe to the left to go back instead of using the hard key. In Internet Explorer, its all done on the touch screen...if I want to go forwards I use the expand menu, but if I want to go back I have to leave the screen and use the hard key. That is odd. I would think that flick gesture could be used for navigation...think mouse gestures in Opera or Chrome add-ins...you could better use gestures for closing tabs, refresh and all sorts. maybe it will come with time. Otherwise, IE does everything I need it to at the moment.

The People page...no reason why there shouldn't be a 'Favourites' section, after all the panning is infinite. In Windows Live you can set favourites, same with Live Messaging...shame these aren't parsed in some special way on the phone. Yes, I know your most recent people show up in their place, and I know you can pin people to the start menu, but I would like a list of around 10 frequently called people without clogging up my home screen.

You Tube app is bit crappy...it basically kicks you to a mobile version of the You Tube website. It works, but it isn't elegant.

The IMDb app is great, once I got it installed. First time I got a cannot install/license error, but I deleted it and tried again from the phone instead of Zune and no problems.



Sorry for the randomness of the thoughts, but there you have Day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment